Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Zinn Columbus Reaction




I was surprised by the Columbus Passage, I knew that most people have done bad things in their life, but not like Columbus. Columbus seemed like an awesome adventurer to me, yet in the eleven pages I read my thought of him instantly changed. From a good person to a man killing demon from hell. Yet, most of the things that he did in 1491 was completely fine in that period. Slaves were still used and most people didn't think of the Native American's as People, but as savage beasts. As savage beasts and not actual humans they could do whatever they wanted to do with them. Also Columbus was pressured to get gold and other precious items, like land, and he had to drive them away or work them to death. Though he seems Horrible in our time he was less evil back then. Columbus has done horrible things in his life but has done a lot more great things.


1 comment:

  1. "Man killing demon from Hell" - interesting description. I'm not sure Zinn who say that Columbus was a demon, but he was a misguided European who thought highly of himself and who didn't see the natives as anything but savages.

    ReplyDelete